Monday 14 April 2014

Evolution of a guard kitty

As previously posted, I've noticed the birth of Maxie playing at guard cat after the Joshua-incident. I hadn't imagined the extent she'd go in playing that role though...until the events that inspired this post.

My cat, who likes to be contrary, is very very very fussy when it comes to having canned food. Unlike most other cats (and dogs), she has no qualms quaffing down any brand of kibble whatsoever. However, give her any but ABC brand of canned cat food (I refuse to do product placement in my blog), and she will refuse to eat it. The thing is, it's not even a so-called premium brand! It's some brand that is usually sold at discounted prices, but only available at two pet stores (so far anyway).

Right, without being too boring, usually when I buy Maxie's canned food, I tend to get a month's supply to avoid having to make repeated out-of-they-way trips to satisfy my princess's tuna craving. Then I will arrange the cans on the table and take one to pop open for her periodically (ie: when she demands tuna. Believe me, there is NO mistaking her meows when she wants tuna). However, this last time, I got a little lazy and sloppy, so I left the plastic bag of canned food on the floor in the living room.

Maxie has a tendency to cuddle up on or inside a canvas bag, usually the canvas bag is anywhere in the living room, depending on what she's been doing with it...so I was playing on the computer and heard some rustling and looked out from my bedroom to the living room. Here's what I saw:
She caught me with the camera
 

This food is mine!
 

Feeling amused, I left her be and the next day I moved the bag away to see what she'd do. Somehow she got a can of tuna out of the plastic bag and on top of it. I swear to you she did this on her own!

Damn you, human! Bring me my bed!!!


 And on day 3 I found her like this (in case anybody is wondering, the black stringie thing is an old pair of earphones of mine that she likes to play with), she'd dragged the bag from the couch where I stashed it the day before:



If I sleep with my head on the cans, the human can't steal it



Ah food, sweet food!

I've left the cans where they were for a week now, seeing as it made her look cute and protective. I caught her the other day (sadly, I wasn't in time for a photo-op) nuzzling her head inside the plastic bag and trying to pick at a can. *LOL*

"Hmmm, hmmm, so many cans, so many flavors. Which shall I make my slave open today?" I could almost see the thought bubble coalescing above her head.

I walked over, and bent down to stroke her. "Baby, what are you doing? You want some tuna, huh?"

An eye peeked out from the plastic bag... *ruts around with face in the bag until a can rolls out*

With such an obvious hint, I knew what she wanted. Seeking to tease her, I took another can from the plastic bag and walked towards the kitchen. Not 3 steps later a furry pair of paws pounced upon my foot.

"Mrowwwwlll!!!!!" she exclaimed.

I grinned at her, put the can back into the bag, selected yet another one and repeated the procedure. This time, the paws had claws extended.

Giving in (hey my leg was in peril!), I took the can she rolled out of the bag and walked towards the kitchen. This time, Her Highness graced me with ankle rubs and purrs as I opened the can on the countertop.

 I'm not sure what made her and how she chose that particular can, but after I opened it, she proceeded to chow down with gusto. That's one happy kitty, and one unscathed human. Phew!










No comments:

Post a Comment